Woman gets allergic shellfish reaction from kiss

February 18, 2003 in Allergies & Intolerances, Nutrition Topics in the News

Woman gets allergic shellfish reaction from kiss

Sometimes a kiss is not just a kiss, if you have food allergies.

A 20-year-old woman with shellfish allergies went into severe anaphylactic shock after kissing her boyfriend, who had just eaten a few shrimp, doctors reported on last week.

Experts from the Mao Clinic in Minnesota say it is important to warn susceptible patients that food does not actually have to be eaten to trigger an allergic reaction.

Touching the offending food and kissing or touching someone who has recently eaten the food can be enough to cause a major reaction.

Writing in the Mayo Clinic Proceedings, doctors reported that the woman had a severe reaction--her throat swelled up and she had cramps and nausea. A quick trip to the emergency room saved her life.

All research on this web site is the property of Leslie Beck Nutrition Consulting Inc. and is protected by copyright. Keep in mind that research on these matters continues daily and is subject to change. The information presented is not intended as a substitute for medical treatment. It is intended to provide ongoing support of your healthy lifestyle practices.