According to Canadian researchers, people with type 2 diabetes who used portion control plates and bowls not only experienced weight loss, but required less medication to control their diabetes.
Researchers from the University of Calgary randomly assigned half of the 130 obese participants with type 2 diabetes to use portion control plates for their largest meal of the day, and portion control bowls for breakfast. The other half of the participants did not use the portion control aides.
The portion control aides were divided into appropriately sized section for protein, cheese, sauce, protein and vegetables.
The portion controlled plates equaled approximately 800-calories for men and 650 calories for women. The cereal bowl was designed for a 200 calorie meal of milk and cereal.
After a six month study period researchers found that the portion control group lost an average of 1.8 percent of their body weight, while the control group lost an average of 0.1 percent.
In fact, many more of the portion control participants were able to lose 5 percent of their body weight. 16.9 percent of the portion control group was able to lose 5 percent of their body weight, compared to only 4.6 percent in the control group.
In addition to the weight loss, the portion control group experienced a decrease in their need for medication to control their diabetes.
The study, published in the Archives of Internal Medicine concluded that the portion control tool used in this study is an effective way lose weight and help manage diabetes.
Currently more than 2 million Canadian have diabetes - about 10 percent of those have type 1 diabetes, while the other 90 percent have type 2 diabetes.
For more information on diabetes, please visit the Canadian Diabetes Association.
All research on this web site is the property of Leslie Beck Nutrition Consulting Inc. and is protected by copyright. Keep in mind that research on these matters continues daily and is subject to change. The information presented is not intended as a substitute for medical treatment. It is intended to provide ongoing support of your healthy lifestyle practices.