|1/4 cup / 50 ml||whole flaxseed|
|1/4 cup / 50 ml||ground flaxseed|
|1-1/2 cups / 375 ml||all-purpose flour|
|1/2 tsp / 2 ml||baking powder|
|1/2 tsp / 2 ml||salt|
|4 tsp / 30 ml||margarine or butter, softened|
|1/2 cup / 125 ml||skim milk|
- Preheat oven to 160 degrees F (325 degrees C).
- In a bowl or stand-up mixer, add flaxseed, ground flax, flour, baking powder, salt and margarine or butter. With the paddle attachment, mix on low speed until the mixture resembles a coarse meal.
- Stir in milk and mix until mixture forms a soft dough (You can also mix the dough by hand.) Wrap dough in plastic wrap and chill 10 minutes.
- Divide the dough into quarters. Turn out onto a lightly floured board. Roll out very thin to a rectangle 1/16 of an inch (2 mm). Cut into 2-1/2 inch (6 cm) squares. Transfer to an ungreased baking sheet.
- Repeat with the remainder of the dough.
- Bake 20 minutes or until crisp and golden.
Onion: add 1 tbsp powdered onion soup mix, Cheese: add 1 cup grated cheddar or other hard cheese, Italian: add 1 tbsp dried oregano and 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese.
Nutrition Information Per Cracker: 56 calories, 1.9 g total fat, 0.2 g saturated fat, 0.1 mg cholesterol, 0.9 g fibre, 59 mg sodium.
Source: Flax Council of Canada