|3/4 cup||whole milk|
|1 1/4 cups||cream|
|1 1/2 lbs||shelled peas|
- Bring a saucepan of salted water to the boil; add the peas and cook for 8 minutes. Drain, then plunge them immediately into ice water to stop the cooking and set their bright green colour.
- Drain again; purée the peas in a blender, then put through a strainer to obtain a fine purée. Place in the refrigerator.
- Bring the milk and cream to the boil. Beat the eggs and sugar in a bowl until the mixture is foamy. Gradually add in the milk and cream, whisking constantly.
- Pour the mixture into a saucepan and cook over low heat for 10 minutes, stirring with a spatula in a figure-8 pattern. The mixture must not boil. Cool and refrigerate.
- When the cream is cold, add the pea purée and combine well. Put the mixture into an ice cream maker to freeze until it attains the consistency of ice cream.
- Place the ice cream into a shallow container and add the finely chopped mint leaves.
- Mix with a spatula and store in the freezer.
At serving time, fill cones with the ice cream Italian-style, using a piping bag fitted with a star tip, or else form balls with an ice cream scoop.