|4||large Bosc pears|
|1 cup||dry white wine|
|2||(3 x 1/2-inch) lemon rind strips|
|1||(3-inch) piece vanilla bean, split lengthwise, or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract|
|4||reduced-calorie vanilla wafers, crushed|
|5 tbsp||coarsely chopped pistachios, toasted and divided|
- Peel and core pears, leaving stems intact. Slice about 1/4 inch from base of each pear so it will sit flat.
- Combine water and next 7 ingredients (water through clove) in a large saucepan; bring to a boil. Add pears; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes or until tender.
- Remove pears and apricots from cooking liquid using a slotted spoon; chill pears and apricots.
- Bring cooking liquid to a boil; cook until reduced to 1 cup (about 15 minutes).
- Strain cooking liquid through a sieve over a bowl; discard solids. Chill.
- Chop apricots.
- Combine apricots, wafer crumbs, and 1 tablespoon pistachios.
- Stuff about 2 tablespoons apricot mixture into each pear cavity.
- Place pears in each of 4 bowls.
- Spoon 1/4 cup syrup over each pear; sprinkle each with 1 tablespoon pistachios.
Note: Use a melon baller to core pears.
Yield: 4 servings
CALORIES 251 (22% from fat); FAT 6g (sat 0.7g,mono 3.4g,poly 0.9g); IRON 1.7mg; CHOLESTEROL 0.0mg; CALCIUM 41mg; CARBOHYDRATE 51.5g; SODIUM 24mg; PROTEIN 3.4g; FIBER 6g