|1 1/2 cups||Rose Lentil puree|
|3/4 cup||canola oil|
|1/2 cup||mashed banana|
|1/2 cup||packed brown sugar|
|2 cups||whole wheat flour|
|2 tsp||baking powder|
|1 tsp||baking soda|
|1 tsp||ground allspice|
|1/2 cup||chopped walnuts|
|1 cup||finely grated carrot|
1. Wash lentils. Cover with water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, until the lentils are very tender, about 40 to 50 minutes.
2. Drain, reserving the stock.
3. In a blender or food processor, blend lentils, adding enough stock to make a purée the consistency of canned pumpkin. As purée forms, stop and mix often until it is smooth.
4. Makes 2 cups. Freezes well.
1. Preheat oven to 350 F (180 C).
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine lentil purée, oil, banana and brown sugar until well blended.
3. In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, allspice and salt. Mix thoroughly. Beat into lentil mixture a little at a time. Stir in walnuts. Stir in carrot.
4. Turn into a 9- x 13-inch nonstick baking dish. Bake 30 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
Source: Discover the Pulse Potential Cookbook produced by The Saskatchewan Pulse Crop Development Board, 1994