|3/4 cup||uncooked wheat berries|
|1 package||dry yeast (about 2 1/4 teaspoons)|
|1 cup||2% reduced-fat milk|
|2 tbsp||dark honey|
|2 1/2 tsp||salt|
|3 cups||bread flour, divided|
|2 cups||whole wheat flour|
|1 cup||amaranth flour|
|2 tbsp||bread flour|
|2 tbsp||wheat bran|
- Combine water and wheat berries in a saucepan; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 1 hour or until tender. Drain wheat in a colander over a bowl, reserving 1 cup cooking liquid; set wheat berries aside.
- Let reserved cooking liquid stand until warm (100° to 110°). Stir yeast into cooking liquid.
- Combine milk, honey, and salt in a small, heavy saucepan, stirring with a whisk until honey and salt dissolve. Heat milk mixture over medium heat until warm (100° to 110°). Add milk mixture to yeast mixture, stirring with a whisk; let stand 5 minutes.
- Lightly spoon 3 cups bread flour, whole wheat flour, and amaranth flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Stir 2 1/2 cups bread flour, whole wheat flour, and amaranth flour into yeast mixture.
- Turn dough out onto a floured surface. Knead until smooth and elastic (about 10 minutes); add up to 1/2 cup bread flour, 1 tablespoon at a time, to prevent dough from sticking to hands (dough will feel tacky).
- Place dough in a large bowl coated with cooking spray, turning to coat top. Cover and let rise in a warm place (85°), free from drafts, 1 hour or until doubled in size. (Press two fingers into dough. If indentation remains, the dough has risen enough.
- Punch dough down; cover and let rest 5 minutes. Coat two 9 x 5-inch loaf pans with cooking spray; dust each with 1 tablespoon bread flour.
- Divide dough in half. Working with 1 portion at a time (cover remaining dough to keep from drying), knead half of wheat berries into dough; place dough in prepared pan. Sprinkle dough with 1 tablespoon wheat bran. Repeat procedure with remaining dough, wheat berries, and wheat bran.
- Cover and let rise 45 minutes or until doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Bake at 375° for 45 minutes or until golden. Cool loaves in pans 10 minutes on a wire rack; remove from pans. Cool completely on wire rack.
Makes 18 servings (serving size: 1 slice)
Per serving: 198 cal, 7 g pro, 1.4 g total fat, 40 g carb, 4 g fibre, 1 mg chol, 334 mg sodium