Obesity lowers male fertility

July 10, 2008 in Men's Health, Nutrition Topics in the News, Weight Management

Obesity lowers male fertility

Obese men have more abnormal sperm and make less semen, say researchers from the University of Aberdeen in Scotland.

In this new study, 2,037 men attending the Aberdeen Fertility Centre had their body mass index (BMI) measured. Researchers evaluated over 5,000 sperm samples to determine if BMI had any affect on a man's sperm quality.

When compared to their slimmer peers, obese men (BMI>30) had a 60 percent higher chance of having a low volume of semen and a 40 percent higher chance of having some abnormal sperm.

Underweight men (BMI<20) were just as likely to have the same problems as obese men.

"Men who are trying for a baby with their partners should first try to achieve an ideal body weight," says this study's lead author.

According to a 2005 report by Statistic Canada, 23 percent of men are obese.

For information about nutrition counseling, please check out how you can work one-on-one with Leslie Beck, RD.

All research on this web site is the property of Leslie Beck Nutrition Consulting Inc. and is protected by copyright. Keep in mind that research on these matters continues daily and is subject to change. The information presented is not intended as a substitute for medical treatment. It is intended to provide ongoing support of your healthy lifestyle practices.